18 April 2007

Easter Hike

Same time last year on Easter break, my mom and sis were over in Ireland for visit and we travelled to Venice and Barcelona for holidays. This year I have NO Visitors and NO Plans!!! So joined my buddy Ross and his wife Rachel for a Hill Walk since the weather was gonna be excellent over the Easter weekend. The walk was at Carrauntohill, Ireland highest peak which is 1,039m in County Kerry (the tourist county of Ireland). I am embarassed that I have not even climbed my country's highest peak Mount Kinabalu which is 4,095m high. But I suppose this could be a taste of what moutain hiking would be like. And I thought this would be some ordinary walk like most Irish hill walks over undulating lands and grass plains.
But this is a tough terrain and a dangerous one. Took us 6.5hours....walking over flat plains at the start, then crossing rivers and lastly the toughest section: To climb up the steep Devil's Ladder and hike up the mountain right to the top. The Devil's Ladder was dangerous cos the rocks you gripped on to ascend or descend could be loose. So you really have to becareful or else if you slipped...GAME OVER!!! Ascending was alright but descending was difficult for me. My knees are not super-fit so it took longer than normal. My friends had to wait up for me several times and very often I am trailing behind them rather than hiking alongside. Loner Walk!!! Ross even had to carry my bagpack most of the time!!!
The effort is paid off when we reached the top. The views were magnificient and pretty. Look at the pics. The greens, lakes, mountainous slopes and most of the all the serenity. Its was so quiet like during the medieval ages. For a moment, I felt like we were in LOTR clips. I think the photos I took were not very good. Its not easy to be hiking and capturing shots especially when you are already trailing behind and your hands should be used for far better things like securing yourself. Plus the sun was always against me. Some photos were just randomly snapped....
Not until I came back to the office and spoke to my Fanatic Hill Walking Irish Colleague about Carrauntohill, that there are so many precautions we need to take. Apparently, every year there are people who get killed climbing up Carrauntohill. Most will slip and fall off the Devil's Ladder injuring themselves severely. Its all rocks from top to bottom. Second, Irish weather is unpredictable. Clouds could come down and you loose visibility immediately. There is no defined track for you to follow. So you could wander off and fall off the cliff or even get lost and die from hypothermia. I should be wearing proper hiking boots. Climbing up rocks could easily sprain my ankle or loose grip and FALL!!! Hearing this, I am very grateful I am still Alive having done the walk and somehow made me Appreciate my Life even More!!!!
* ...On the Road... *
* ...With Lucy...a Border Collie... *
* ...To The Mountains... *
* ...The Starting Part... *
* ...Crossing Rocky Route... ** ...Break Time... *
* ...Continueing On... *
* ...Reach the Devil's Ladder... *
* ...Climbing Up... ** ...At the Top of the Ladder... *
* ...Time Out... ** ...More to Go... ** ...Right at the Top Now... **...I'm Tallest Chinese Man in Ireland... ** ...Comin Back Down... ** ...Over the Rocks Again... ** ...and the River... ** ...Nearly there: I'm Slow!!!... * * ...Back to the Sheeps... ** ...My Sole...Time to Buy Proper Hiking Shoes... *

7 comments:

~JEST~ said...

Looks scary...no ropes, no harness :S my dad climbed up Mt. Kinabalu at the age of 58, if I am not wrong...he was the 2nd oldest in the group that time and he made it, I was so proud of him...I myself am doubtful I can do it...Mt. Kinabalu is scary too but there are ropes ready and guides to help you carry your bagpacks for a small fee...and climbing up starts at 2-3am...to reach the top by sunrise so going up was not so scary cos you wont be able to see a thing in the dark...coming down only will you realise how steep it is...my dad & 2nd sister have done it...I wonder if I will ever try...hahaha...

~ VinnY ~ said...

I dont know if Mount Kinabalu has designated tracks/steps along the route. but 4095m is tough. need some cardio exercise prior. ahhh...i think u better continue your YOGA instead!!!

~JEST~ said...

hahaha...hey, what you mean by that lah!!! that I wont be able to do it lah!!! There are no steps but they have ropes there already...so it makes it slightly easier for the climbers...and it was tough lo, after my dad got down, he had no idea how he did it...hahaha...

cybubs d nudimad said...

beautiful view.. and literally breathtaking as my heart begins to race as the photos of the mountain gets higher and higher!! my breathe goes shorter and shorter feelin the air getting thinner and thinner.. great experience huh, well done dude!

Anonymous said...

Hey Vincent,

This is the first time I've ever stumbled across your blog. Photos look great! Glad you're keeping well. :)

~ VinnY ~ said...

Thanks CYBUBS...i'm pretty sure your diving is way much more exhilarating than this....hehe!!!

~ VinnY ~ said...

Hi Carmen...surprised to hear from you..thank you and hope all is well with you too!!!